Please confirm that you have read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
Data input restrictions
These tables show data input restrictions for each field.
This table shows the data input restrictions for field 10a.
|Equipment and Capabilities - max 64 characters|
|or one or more of the following descriptors without repetition:|
|D||Required when PBN/ contains B1, B3, C1, C3, C4, D1, D3, D4, 01, O3, O4. Also with B1, B4 with either S or O.|
|G||Required when PBN/ contains any of: B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, O1, O2.|
|I||Required when PBN/ contains any of: B1, B5, C1, C4, D1, D4, O1, O4.|
|J1, J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7|
|M1, M2, M3|
|O||Required when PBN/ contains B1 or B4, together with "D", unless "S" is present.|
|P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, P7, P8, P9|
|R||Requires PBN/ to be present in item 18.|
|S||Required when PBN/ contains B1 or B4, together with "D", unless "O" is present.|
|Z||Requires COM/ and/or NAV and/or DAT to be present in item 18.|
This table shows the data input restrictions for field 10b.
|Surveillance Equipment and Capabilities - max 20 characters|
|or one or more of the descriptors:|
|A||Plus optionally one or more of the following descriptors:|
|I||If present it excludes P, X, E, H, L, S.||B2|
|P||If present it excludes I, X, E, H, L, S.||D1|
|X||If present it excludes P, I, E, H, L, S.||G1|
|E||If present it excludes I, P, X.||U1|
|H||If present it excludes I, P, X.||U2|
|L||If present it excludes I, P, X.||V1|
|S||If present it excludes I, P, X.||V2|
|The presence of any of these descriptors ensures MODE S compliance for IFPS processing.|
|Note||Additional surveillance application should be listed in Item 18 following the indicator SUR/.|
This table shows the data input restrictions for field 18.
|or any other information in the following sequence:||Duplicate not allowed|
|STS/||ALTRV, ATFMX, FFR, FLTCK, HAZMAT, HEAD, HOSP, HUM, MARSA, MEDEVAC, NNRVSM, SAR, STATE||STS/|
|PBN/||maximum 8 from: A1, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B4, C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, D2, D3, D4, L1, O1, O2, O3, O4, S1, S2, T1, T2||✔||PBN/|
|NAV/||up to 50 characters||NAV/|
|REG/||up to 50 characters||✔||REG/|
|TYP/||up to 60 characters||TYP/|
|RVR/||1 to 3 digits||✔||RVR/|
|DLE/||up to 11 characters per point followed||DLE/|
|ORGN/||up to 30 characters||✔||ORGN/|
|PER/||on of the descriptior: A, B, C, D, E, H||✔||PER/|
|ALTN/||up to 100 characters||ALTN/|
|RFP/||Q followed by a single digit 1 to 9||✔||RFP/|
|Exempted from flow regulations||Ensures compliance with B-RNAV checking|
This image shows the relevant fields highlighted on a Flight Plan.
The Flight Plan Guide allows users to search for the correct format to be used for the different fields of the new ICAO Flight Plan via a database. The result for each item will show the correct syntax, description, remarks, linked fields and the possible IFPS errors. The current version of this guide is dedicated to the European flight planning system (IFPS), focussing on the fields impacted by the ICAO 2012 modifications (10a,10b and 18).
An ICAO 2012 Flight Planning modifications e-learning module providing a detailed description of the modifications is also available via the EUROCONTROL Training Zone.
1. Select the Field you are interested in. This will filter the available topics to those related to that field.
2. Now select one or more topics to see the Items related to those topics.
3. You can further search the visible list of Items by typing in the filter box.
Save to Home
You can bookmark this application to your mobile device home screen, useful for offline access.
Methods vary by device so follow these links for device specific instructions:
- iOS: From Safari, tap the '+' (<4.2) or '' (4.2+) and then 'Add to Home Screen'.
- Android: Open the app tray, select the widgets tab at the top and scroll until you see bookmark, it's a white and gold tile with a star in the middle. Long press this and you'll be taken to your homescreen, release where you want it and Chrome will open, select the bookmark. Simple as that!??
If you cannot use this application offline, try using a different browser. The following browsers do not allow offline access:
- Internet Explorer 9 or less
- WebOS HP Touch products
No equipment, standard equipment and other equipment carried or other capabilities.
Radio Communication equipment carried and serviceable.
Navigation and Approach aid equipment carried and serviceable.
No Surveillance Equipment.
SSR Modes A,C and S.
ADS B and C
0 (zero) if no other information.
Reason for special handling by ATS, e.g. a search and rescue mission, as follows:
ATFMX, FFR, FLTCK, HAZMAT, HEAD, HOSP, HUM, MARSA, MEDEVAC, NONRVSM, SAR and STATE.
Other reasons for special handling by ATS shall be denoted under the designator RMK/.
When more than one reason apply to a flight, it shall be noted under one STS/ entry and separated by a space.
Example: STS/HOSP ATFMX
No longer accepted: ATFMEXEMPTAPPROVED, EXM833, NONRNAV, EMER, free text.
New reasons: ATFMX, FFR, FLTCK, HAZMAT, MARSA, MEDEVAC.
Any of the following STS descriptors when found in a message shall automatically exempt that flight from flow regulations: HEAD, ATFMX, FFR, SAR, MEDEVAC.
The PBN sub-field contains the RNAV and/or RNP certifications and operational approvals applicable for the flight. Include as many of the descriptors below, as apply to the flight, up to a maximum of 8 entries, i.e. a total of not more than 16 characters, inside an single occurrence of PBN/. Duplicate entries for the sub-field PBN/ is not permitted.
Significant data related to navigation equipment, other than specified in PBN/, as required by the appropriate ATS authority. Indicate GNSS augmentation under this indicator, with a space between two or more methods of augmentation, e.g. NAV/GBAS SBAS.
Indicate communications applications or capabilities no specified in Item 10a.
Indicate data applications or capabilities not specified in Item 10a.
Include surveillance applications or capabilities not specified in Item 10b.
Name and location of departure aerodrome, if ZZZZ is inserted in Item 13, or the ATS unit for which supplementary flight plan data can be obtained if AFIL is inserted in Item 13.
Name and location of destination aerodrome, if ZZZZ is inserted in Item 16.
Date Of Flight departure in a six figure format: YYMMDD.
The nationality or common mark and registration mark of the aircraft, if different from the aircraft identification in Item 7.
Significant points or FIR boundary designators and accumulated estimated elapsed times from take-off to such points or FIR boundaries, when so prescribed on the basis of regional air navigation agreements, or by the appropriate ATS authority. Examples: EET/CAP0745 XYZ0830 and EET/EISN0204
SELCAL Code, for aircraft equipped.
Type(s) of aircraft preceded if necessary without a space by number(s) of aircraft and separated by one space if ZZZZ is inserted in Item 9. Example: –TYP/2F15 5F5 3B2
Aircraft address (expressed in the form of an alphanumerical code of six hexadecimal characters) when required by the appropriate ATS authority. Example: “F00001” is the lowest aircraft address contained in the specific block administered by ICAO.
Enroute delay or holding: insert the significant point(s) on the route where a delay is planned to occur, followed by the length of delay using four figure time in hours and minutes (hhmm).
ICAO designator or name of the aircraft operating agency, if different from the aircraft identification in item 7.
The originator’s 8 letter AFTN address or other appropriate contact details, in cases where the originator of the flight plan may not be readily identified, as required by the appropriate ATS authority
Aircraft performance data, indicated by a single letter.
Name of destination aerodrome alternate aerodrome(s), if ZZZZ in inserted in Item 16.
ICAO four letter indicator(s) for en-route alternate(s), as specified in Doc 7910, Location Indicators, or name(s) of en-route alternate(s), if no indicator is allocated.
ICAO four letter indicator(s) for take-off alternate(s), as specified in Doc 7910, Location Indicators, or name(s) of take-off alternate(s), if no indicator is allocated.
The route details to the revised destination aerodrome, following by the ICAO four-letter location indicator of the aerodrome. The revised route is subject to reclearance in flight.Examples: RIF/DTA HEC KLAX and RIF/ESP G94 CLA YPPH
Any other plain language remarks when required by the appropriate ATS authority or deemed necessary.
Replacement Flight Plan. ICAO Doc 7030 Regional Supplementary Procedures, EUR region.
Runway Visual Range. It indicates the minimum RVR requirement of the flight. ICAO Doc 7030 Regional Supplementary Procedures, EUR region.
Non ICAO Item 18 used by the Network Manager in the IFPZ.
- N: No COM/NAV/ approach aid equipment or the equipment is unserviceable
- S: Standard COM/NAV/approach aid equipment
- Z: Other equipment carried or other capabilities
- E1: FMC WPR ACARS
- E2: D-FIS ACARS
- E3: PDC ACARS
- H: HF RTF
- J1: CPDLC ATN VDL Mode 2
- J2: CPDLC FANS 1/A HFDL
- J3: CPDLC FANS 1/A VDL Mode A
- J4: CPDLC FANS 1/A VDL Mode 2
- J5: CPDLC FANS 1/A SATCOM (INMARSAT)
- J6: CPDLC FANS 1/A SATCOM (MTSAT)
- J7: CPDLC FANS 1/A SATCOM (Iridium)
- M1: ATC SATVOICE (INMARSAT)
- M2: ATC SATVOICE (MTSAT)
- M3: ATC SATVOICE (Iridium)
- U: UHF RTF
- V: VHF RTF
- Y: VHF with 8.33 kHz channel spacing capability
- P4: Reserved for RCP
- P5: Reserved for RCP
- P6: Reserved for RCP
- P7: Reserved for RCP
- P8: Reserved for RCP
- P9: Reserved for RCP
- P1: CPDLC RCP 400
- P2: CPDLC RCP 240
- P3: SATVOICE RCP 400
- A: GBAS Landing System
- B: LPV (APV with SBAS)
- K: MLS
- L: ILS
- C: Loran C
- D: DME
- F: ADF
- G: GNSS
- I: Inertial Navigation
- O: VOR
- R: PBN approved
- T: TACAN
- W: RVSM
- X: MNPS approved
- B1: ADS-B with dedicated 1090 MHz ADS-B "out" capability
- B2: ADS-B with dedicated 1090 MHz ADS-B "out" and "in" capability
- U1: ADS-B "out" capability using UAT
- U2: U2 ADS-B "out" and "in" capability using UAT
- V1: ADS-B "out" capability using VDL Mode 4
- V2: ADS-B "out" and "in" capability using VDL Mode 4
- D1: ADS-C with FANS 1/A capabilities
- G1: ADS-C with ATN capabilities
- 0: No Other Information
- PBN/A1 : RNAV 10 (RNP 10)
- PBN/B1: RNAV 5 all permitted sensors
- PBN/B2: RNAV 5 GNSS
- PBN/B3: RNAV 5 DME/DME
- PBN/B4: RNAV 5 VOR/DME
- PBN/B5: RNAV 5 INS or IRS
- PBN/B6: RNAV 5 LORAN C
- PBN/C1: RNAV 2 all permitted sensors
- PBN/C2: RNAV 2 GNSS
- PBN/C3: RNAV 2 DME/DME
- PBN/C4: RNAV 2 DME/DME/IRU
- PBN/D1: RNAV 1 all permitted sensors
- PBN/D2: RNAV 1 GNSS
- PBN/D3: RNAV 1 DME/DME
- PBN/D4: RNAV 1 DME/DME/IRU
- PBN/L1: RNP 4
- PBN/O1: Basic RNP 1 all permitted sensors
- PBN/O2: Basic RNP 1 GNSS
- PBN/O3: Basic RNP 1 DME/DME
- PBN/O4: Basic RNP 1 DME/DME/IRU
- PBN/S1: RNP APCH
- PBN/S2: RNP APCH with BARO-VNAV
- PBN/T1: RNP AR APCH with RF (special authorization required)
- PBN/T2: RNP AR APCH without RF (special authorization required)
- RNAVX: RNAV exempted
- RNAVINOP: RNAV inoperable
- Other: NAV/
- Other: COM/
- EXM833: Exemption of 8.33 carriage
- CPDLCX: CPDLC Exempted
- Other: DAT/
- PER : Aircraft Performance Data
- SUR: Surveillance Equipment
- DEP: Name and location of departure aerodrome
- DEST: Name and location of destination aerodrome
- ALTN: Name of destination aerodrome alternate aerodrome(s)
- RALT: En-route alternate aerodrome(s)
- TALT: Take-off alternate aerodrome(s)
- DOF: Date Of Flight
- REG: Registration mark of the aircraft
- EET: Estimated Elapsed Times
- SEL: SELective CALling radio
- TYP: Type(s) of aircraft
- CODE: Aircraft address
- DLE: En-route delay or holding (DLE)
- OPR: ICAO designator or name of the aircraft operating agency
- ORGN: Originator of the flight plan
- RIF: Re-clearance In Flight
- RMK: Remark field
- RFP: Replacement Flight Plan
- RVR: Runway Visual Range
- A: Transponder Mode A
- C: Transponder Mode C
- E: Transponder Mode S
- H: Transponder Mode S
- I: Transponder Mode S
- L: Transponder Mode S
- P: Transponder Mode S
- S: Transponder Mode S
- X: Transponder Mode S
- N: No Surveillance Equipment